Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oooops, I did it again...

I had been so good for at least a month, and really thought that I had conquered my addiction... However, look what happened over the last two days:

Not only did I buy those, but as I was at it anyway, I thought I might as well get these
in for a penny, in for a pound. I have never been a girl that did things by halves.
As I was feeling slightly under the weather, I decided that it was time to treat myself to these. I used to buy almost every magazine around, because there always is the idea that there is something in each edition that you do not know about or that you need. And... I am always right about that. They are a real source of inspiration to me ( well, that is how I justify spending oodles of money on them) and I will stick to that story. Anyway, I had loads of fun flicking through them yesterday and will read them properly over the next week or so. See, lots of value for money.
I was particularly excited about the Romantic home magazine as I had not seen that before. It reminded me of the Victoria magazine that I can very occasionally get here, I adore that one. The last issue I got my hands on is September/October 2008. It is really hard to come by here, the ABC store in Amsterdam used to stock it, but I can not find it anymore there, which is a real shame.

I am brimming with new ideas about things I want to make. At the moment I am very into cross stitching, which I love doing, but which takes a lot of time. I really have to start some sewing projects again as well, I want to build some stock for a craft fair.
For the moment I have abandoned my Christmas stitching for a spring one:
I am making this for a dear old friend of my mother's. They were at school together at Southern Seminar in Virginia, many moons ago. She lives in Little Rock, Arkansas, and came to stay with us for a fortnight last year. We all had a lot of fun! She loves tulips, and as it is her birthday in April, I thought I would stitch her this. (Look: I have finally figured out how to post bigger photographs than I did before, can you tell I am pleased?) I also came across this idea:I will adapt this and make it into a Spring garland instead of Noel. There is a complete alphabet included in the chart, so you can adapt it anyway you like. I thought I would make the hearts into scented sachets and add that to the care package I will send Nancy for her birthday.

This morning I got a little boost as I opened my e-mail account. An old friend who I worked with in Oxford contacted me again through Facebook. This really lifted my spirits, as I had lost touch with her, sadly, but had been thinking of her from time to time. Through her friend list I came across another old colleague as well who responded straightaway. This gave me the same feeling as reading the comments people place on this blog, it is just really fun to feel connected to people. Even if you do not really know one another.
I hope your day will be as much fun and as rewarding as mine was.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline!

    I hope you're doing better. Today was the day I finally kicked this illness! It was terrible. I coughed so much I swear I cracked a rib..seriously. ;) You are so like me with magazines. Let's see, I bought about 4 magazines while I was sick so it wasn't too, too bad. I've been wanting to learn to cross stitch as well. Your projects are BEAUTIFUL! I'm a little intimidated by it still. :)

    I hope this week you feel much better. Being sick isn't fun at all, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline -

    I love my magazines too. There's nothing like curling up on the sofa with a good magazine to relax a girl! Hope you're feeling better. Oh - and I love the tulips!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete