Monday, August 3, 2009

A lemony weekend and a fun tag...


Is not this the most gorgeous image? I feel I can smell the lemons... at the moment there is almost nothing I like better than the scent of lemons. It is really fresh and uplifting.
I got myself the August edition of Good Food the other day, it is one of the best ones ever! I almost want to make every recipe. Because of a small matter of size etc. that is probably not recommended, but it really is that good.
However, I really could not resist the two recipes below... I unfortunately could not find my camera, so there are no pictures, but they should speak for themselves.

Ginger lemon fizz
makes ml of syrup

50 g/2 oz fresh root ginger, roughly chopped
300g /10 oz caster sugar
2 lemons, sliced, plus extra to serve
Sparkling water

Place the sugar, ginger and lemon slices in a pan. Bring to the boil, then cook until the sugar dissolves. Take of the heat, leave to cool, then press through a sieve.
You can store the syrup in the fridge for up to a week.
To serve, pour into a pitcher and top up with sparkling water and extra lemon slices.

See... it could not be more simple and it tastes great! I used an extra lemon, as I like things quite sharp, but will next time also use less sugar, however that is a matter of personal taste. The ginger just adds a bit of warmth to it and works very well with the lemon. There is an almost citrussy quality to fresh ginger I always feel.

A slightly more fiddly recipe, but so worth it, is the following:

Blueberry lemon cakes with cheesecake topping
makes 12

100 g/ 4 oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
100 g/ 4 oz golden caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
zest and juice one lemon
140g /5 oz self-raising flour
50g/ 2 oz blueberries

For the topping
250 ml/ 9fl oz soured cream
25 g/ 1 0z icing sugar
1 large egg
1tsp vanilla extract

Lightly grease a 12-hole deep muffin tin. Cut out 12 strips of baking parchment, each about 1,5 cm wide. Cut each strip in half, then lay inside each muffin hole to make a cross. Trim the ends so that they rise about 1 cm above the rim of the holes. You'll use these as handles to remove the cakes when they are cooked.
Heat oven to 180C/ gasmark 4. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, add the lemon zest and half of the juice. Mix together well, then stir in half of the flour. Stir in the remaining lemon juice, then the remaining flour.
Spoon the cake mixture into the tins, about 1 heaped tbsp per case, then smooth over with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle a couple of blueberries over each cake, then bake for 10 mins.
To make the topping, whisk together the soured cream, icing sugar, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Take the cakes out of the oven, they should be pale and just firm. Gently press down to make a flat top, then spoon some cheesecake topping over each cake- the holes should be filled almost to the top. Scatter over some more blueberries and bake for 5-7 minutes more until the topping is just set and gives only a little wobble when tapped.
Leave the cakes to cool in the tin, then gently ease away from the sides of the tin and lift out using the paper handles.

Enjoy, these are really quite special.

One last thing to mention is that I got tagged with quite a fun tag by Lisa from Jumble and jelly. Hers is a truly lovely blog, if you do not know it yet, hop over and have a look, it is great. Really colourful and lively and fun to read.

The tag works like this. Grab the book that is nearest to you and write down the 5th sentence on page 161. Then you get to tag 5 more people.

The book I grabbed as it was on top of my to be read pile is: The perfect summer, by Juliet Nicolson. She is the grand daughter of Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson. The book is about the summer of 1911. I really want to read this book because of my obsession with Bloomsbury and that period in history in general.

The sentence is:Yet another Times contributor quoted Juvenal to demonstrate that human nature had not changed for many centuries.

These are the people I am tagging:

Heidi The cranberry chronicle
Michelle Chocolate and marmalade tea
Diane Heartshaped
Angie A book a day
Sibylle In training for a heroine

These are all gorgeous blogs, so if you have time, have a look at them.

Enjoy a warm and sunny week!

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, Caroline..I shouldn't have looked at this before eating breakfast! My stomach was sure grumbling! These look so delicious! Great summer recipes! I will definitely play along with the tag!! My next post or the next after that because I think I was tagged by City Girl before taht. Eeek...gotta catch up on my tags! Lol!

    xoxo

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tagging my blog. I'm going to include the tag in the blog entry that I put up later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrumptious-y! Oh my , I do love food, and yours looks super. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful lemon grove. Great looking recipes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed doing the tag.
    Those muffins sound delish, amy give those a go.
    Hope you're having a good week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lemons! I buy them each week. Just too good in this hot weather to pass up. I was wondering how your reading goals are going this summer? Can you believe it is already August? I can't. I just finished another book yesterday as I had to go to the hospital for a biopsy again which they then did not end up doing. I will write more about in on my blog later. I then came home and sat outside to finish the book while we relaxed in the garden. It is so rare that we have peace and quiet here in the city so I can never read outside. It was pure joy to do so. I wish vacations would never end...

    I started a new book again today so I am going to go sit out there again to read while I wait for DH to come home. His meetings are a little late today so I have to wait to cook dinner.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dat geeft het echte zomer gevoel weer....al die citroenen !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoi
    En ook lekker genoten van t zonnetje vandaag :)
    Daar heb je wel lekkere citroenen bij nodig !!!
    Leuke blog daar lusten die amerikanen wel meters van ;)
    Fijne zondagavond
    Anya :)
    Kareltje =^.^=

    ReplyDelete