Friday, July 10, 2009

Grasshopper...


That is the name of the colour of the yarn I used... Not sure that that is very flattering, but as everyone, including me is obsessed with being green these days, it seems oddly appropriate that I should use it.
Anyway... as you can see I have actually finished this project from a few posts ago. Remarkably quickly for me, I have to be honest, but I tremendously enjoyed knitting it. The border took a few attempts, and I had to frog ( see what I did there?) the beginning a couple of times, but it all went remarkably smoothly.
To celebrate my accomplishment, and to stay in the green theme, I baked myself these cookies. I love cornmeal anything and lime is truly one of my favourite scents and tastes. There is something so uplifting about it.

Lime cornmeal glazed cookies
Makes about 2 dozen

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
4 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 6 limes total)
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest (2 medium oranges)
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, plus more for coating glass
Lime glaze

1. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add egg, beat until just blended. Add citrus zests, lime juice and almond extract.
2. With the mixer on low speed, add flour and cornmeal. Continue beating until well blended. Transfer dough to a piece of plastic wrap. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line to baking sheets with baking parchment. Fill a small bowl with cornmeal. Using a 1 1/4 inch ice cream scoop, form balls from chilled dough. Place balls on prepared sheets, spaced about 3 inches apart. Dip bottom of a medium drinking glass in the cornmeal. Flatten balls with the bottom of the glass until dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Bake cookies until crisp and light-golden brown around the edges, 14-16 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the lime glaze;
3 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
8 table spoons fresh lime juice, plus 2 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest.
Stir the ingredients together and use glaze immediately.
6. Place a wire rack on top of a piece of parchment paper. Pour the lime glaze over the cool cookies, allowing the excess to drip over the edges. Let glaze set.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Enjoy the weekend and do a little sun dance!

3 comments:

  1. How about I bring my carafe of lemonade to your house and we eat your cookies...lol. Your new knitted vest looks great. With our cool weather today, you can use it already. I am glad it is cooler now. Do you have a new project started now?

    How is your reading list coming along? I have a second book almost done this month which is a really cute Dutch book translated into English for kids. I bought it for my nephew and also one for myself. I can't believe how much I want to stop and read anymore.

    Have a great weekend.

    Hugs en groetjes ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that is hand knitted - I am very impressed!!! Top Gear!!!! Its ok the first time around, but on the "Dave" Channel it gets repeated, and repeated and repeated!!!! Although I do fancy James May - Dont ask me why!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever! Your new top is gorgeous.
    Not much sun here so I'll be doing a dance too!
    Enjoy your weekend whatever the weather.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete