Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer drinks...


It has been so hot and dry here for a couple of weeks now, that I feel like I am in the south of France... And even though it is not the best feeling to be unemployed, it is lovely to be able to enjoy this summer. I suddenly realised that the last summer I had been as free as this was my last year at school, and that is a very distant memory I can tell you.
Is it me or does seem all fruit to be particularly good this year? I do not think I have ever eaten as many strawberries as I did this year! The other day I bought a whole lot of gorgeous raspberries, they were amazing. So, when I found this recipe of raspberry lemonade I had to try it. It is completely fab, I imagine it to be good in sparkling white wine or vodka even, but have not tried that yet.

Raspberry lemonade
10 oz/ 300 gr caster sugar
1 1/2 lemons, sliced
1 orange, sliced
3x 170 gr punnets raspberries
ice and fresh mint to serve, optional

Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and pour over 350 ml cold water. Bring to the boil, stirring often, then leave to cool. Pour through a sieve, pressing down with a spoon to extract all the juices.
The syrup can now be stored in the fridge for up to a week. To serve, pour a little into a glass and top up with sparkling or still water, ice and mint.

As ever, I could not leave alone and added a bit less sugar than specified, as I like things a bit sharp. I do not really like the way sugar tends to drown out the taste of the fruit, but this really is one of the best lemonades I know.
The other thing I have been enjoying a lot of so far is a drink that I have developed after buying it once at a juice bar.
Just put a good chunk of watermelon, a glass of applejuice, a sizeable sprig of mint and the juice of approx. half a lime in the blender. Whizz and pour over ice. Truly summer in a glass!
Enjoy the summer, it is tipping it down here now...

5 comments:

  1. It's been tipping down here today as well. I bought a raspberry plant on Saturday at a summer fete so maybe next year I'll have enough to make on eof these drinks!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik zou wel een glaasje met je willen drinken :)
    Ziet er heerlijk uit !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that just looks wonderful! I wonder how to convert those indgredients to English measurements! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yhis looks lovely - will give it a try - when summer comes back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Schenk me maar eens in....ik krijg spontaan dorst als ik dit zo zie !!!

    ReplyDelete