Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Still four more nights...

I am almost exploding now with excitement!!! It has been soooo many years that I have been planning to go to Paris, and it just never happened. This time round it will, I can not breathe, I can not sleep, basically I am a hyperactive child on speed.
This is a picture of one of the things I really want to see in the flesh as it were, I just adore Niki de St Phalle and Jean Tinguely, that was just one brilliant partnership!

I was in Waterstone's this afternoon (really, when am I not there) because I felt that it was time for me to start reading Terry Pratchett. I know, it is almost sacrilegious, but I have never ever read anything he has written, for the simple fact that I do not like fantasy much. Even of the Lord of the Rings I have only read The Hobbit (feeling very brave tonight, I am).
There are two reasons I want to start reading him now, one is the programme he did on the BBC on his onset of Alzheimers, which I found impressive and very courageous. Also someone recommended Little Gods to me.
However, they were stocking two different editions of the Disc world series, but of neither edition that one was in stock. And then I chickened out and got this instead...

Well, in my defence, it says Terry Pratchett on the front... It is brilliant, really funny. If you love cats, and possibly even if you hate them, get it. It really is a hoot. I love the Gray Joliffe cartoons as well.
I did pick up a copy of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights when I was there as well, another one of those books I have been meaning to read and just never get round to actually buy... again I left it in favour of something else. Guess I am not quite ready for fantasy yet.

Have a turbulent Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. I have never read a TP book and to be honest I probably never will, they just don't appeal. My husband has just joined a book group and will be reading books he'd never normally think of reading over the course of this coming year, a good way to read a selection of stuff.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite place - any bookshop. Have you packed yet? Thanks for the "shed" comment - yes I agree - I could do with one!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited you are going to Paris! If I am reading this right. I am catching up with blogs....my oh my you have been busy! Thank you SO, SO much for your well wishes for all of us. We are on the mend, yay! Mocha is slowly..but she is eating and drinking and has a healthy appetite so I am thankful for that!

    Lots of love and hugs...

    xoxo

    Michelle and the kitties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popped in to say hello, I have enjoyed reading your blog and will visit again. Do you have time to pop in and say hello ?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete