Sunday, April 19, 2009

I love spring cooking...



There is nothing as evocative as a trip to the greengrocer's at this time of the year. All the produce looks so fresh and cheerful and full of promise. Maybe it is just the fact that after winter it is just so lovely to see the new things in the store again, there is the bright red of the redishes, the gorgeous fresh orange of the carrots, all the different shades of green of the spring greens, the beans, the peas ...
I get very greedy at this time of the year, and always think that this is my favourite, than it gets to automn and I think exactly the same, I can not really choose between the two of them.
But as I was watering the pots in the herb garden there were al these fantastic scents around me, it really felt a bit like early summer, and I was perfectly content.
Last night I had a ball with some of the fresh produce I bought earlier. I got myself some shell peas, and even though I now that it is just as good to buy frozen ones there is something satisfying about shelling peas. I really love the look of them, particularly the inside of the pods.
I cooked the peas for a short while and combined them with radishes, some spring onions and loads of fresh mint, I simply can not resist the smell of that. I made a very simple dressing of olive oil, a bit of lemon juice and pepper and salt to go over it. Nothing too overpowering to allow all the fresh flavours to come out. Live does not get easier than that!
With that I had some flatbread with spring onions, leek, minced lamb and feta cheese, and again loads of mint, it was rather delicious.
All is helped along I guess by the fact that it is possible to eat out in the garden at the moment, there is nothing as wonderful as a bit of al fresco dining.

What do you think of my "herb garden"? It is the smell of the mint that really inspires me.

A truly magical place to eat...

Have a wonderfully sunny Sunday all.

2 comments:

  1. Je geniet er al net zo van als ik, van het voorjaar !! Lekkere vers groenten, en buiten eten, zalig !! Al dat frisse groen en die lentebloemen, een wonder lijkt het wel!!

    Jammer dat het allemaal zo snel gaat !!

    Fijne week Caroline!!

    Groetjes Thea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline,
    I love your herb garden! How long does everything stay fresh? I also enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables when they're available...I can't wait for summer just because of the fruit! Happy day!

    ReplyDelete