Friday, May 29, 2009

Pizza, Pizza...


These beauties are in our garden, they are particularly loved by my mother. They are bearded irises which are called Eleanore's pride, as her name is Eleanore, she feels they do her particularly proud.

The other day I got a phone call from a friend I had not seen for a while in the morning. She asked if I wanted to come over that night for pizza and a chat. I love spontaneous invitations like that, so naturally I agreed. She picked me up after work, and we got some cheese, crackers, wine, strawberries and deep-freeze pizzas ( which I never get personally, but they were ok) and went to her house. We had a lovely, relaxed and very gossipy evening.

Then the next day I was stuck for ideas what to cook, and as it was a lovely day in the end decided on a pizza of my own making, as that seemed a Southern European thing to eat in the nice, warm weather.
I felt lazy though as well and could not be bothered to faff around with making pizza dough. We have a very nice health food store nearby, so I went in there and bought two very nice (spelt) pizzas and to continue the lazy theme some tomato sauce (organic) as well.

First I drizzled a teaspoon of olive oil over each of the pizzas...
Then I mixed three tablespoons of the tomato sauce with three tablespoons of creme fraiche, some homemade Harissa paste and loads of chives ( they were around and I had to use them up)...
I spread that over the pizzas and topped them with quartered artichoke hearts, spinach I had cooked and tossed with garlic and a bit of olive oil, the best ham ever (a grilled ham our organic butcher makes) and buffalo mozzarella...
When they came out of the oven I sprinkled them with a Swiss hard cheese which is called Belper Knolle, that made a lovely change from the Parmesan cheese I would have otherwise used, and this is the end result...

With a glass of rose wine, that actually made a gorgeous meal. Sometimes the uninspired days can work out quite well.

Wishing you all some lovely meals this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wish of good meals as I cannot think of a better thing. I love to cook. This does not look like being lazy to me. Those pizzas look fabulous. I am making Macaroni and Cheese tonight for dinner which DH loves. I do it with lots of chopped up fresh vegetables like leeks, onion, green/yellow/red peppers, etc.. It is simple to make but he loves it.

    Your irises are beautiful. I have never grown them. Do you have to replant them or do they keep coming up each year? I brought a few of the foxgloves from Cranberry Cottage to our city garden and both have bloomed this week. I am so pleased. I did not know if that would work bringing them from a forest garden to here.

    Have a wonderful Pinksteren weekend!

    Hugs en groetjes ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Caroline! Had to come back after I read your wonderful long comment on my blog. I love these conversations we can start through blogging. I order books from Persephone books and they are wonderful. I am using their catalog covers framed in my guest room as I want to use a theme of reading ladies in there. They also have the neatest bookmarks in each of their books. I want to see about framing some of them too. Just ideas right now swimming around in my head. I got my latest order just two weeks ago. They can be ordered online and you get a discount if you order three so I did. Have you looked at the website for the bookshop. I dream of actually going to the bookshop in London.

    I also have 6 Beverley Nichols books. So many books, so little time.

    Hugs en groetjes ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look marvelous! Wish I could come over and try a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geweldig mooie baardirissen !! Ik ben al lang op zoek naar die rose kleur. Kunnen we niet een wortelstok ruilen of zo ??

    Je zou er me een groot plezier mee doen!!

    Groetjes Thea

    Je kunt bij die pasta salade, een extra bord met allerlei lekker groenten bij serveren!!!

    ReplyDelete