Friday, May 1, 2009

Rhubarb, rhubarb, two fools and a new interest...

To start with one of the fools, this is not a particularly uplifting story, but as it has affected the whole of our country, I will mention it.
Yesterday should have been a true day of celebration. It was Queen' s day, which this year was going to be extra special, as it would have been our former Queen's 100th birthday. She was really very beloved, and all the festivities were geared towards that. It was a gorgeously sunny day and nice and warm. The Royal family had already been taking a walk en masse in the Oranje park in Apeldoorn, they always go and take part in the festivities in one town or another every year. They then all got into an open topped bus, and went on their way to the palace in Apeldoorn, het Loo. They were nearly there, when all the festivities were abruptly brought to a halt by a fool (for want of a stronger word) who had driven his car through two roadblocks, through the thousands (literally) of people that were lining the streets and towards the bus. Somehow he veered a bit off course and crashed into the needle, a monument on the street there.
Obviously, after that, all the festivities were cancelled. What should have been a day of fun, sun and celebration ended in a real tragedy. Seven people died, 10 were wounded and nobody knows how many were traumatised all because he had a grudge against the Royal Family. He himself died in hospital last night as well, before he could be formally questioned, and that then, naturally, is the end of all investigation. There was no indication that it was anything more than a deed by an individual, he was not known to the police, nor where there indications of a personality disorder. Yet he managed to ruin this day for many more years to come, it all feels wrong. My thoughts are with the people who have lost family members yesterday.

Ah well, that is my rant done, now onto things more positive.
As I went out early yesterday morning to get some Queen's day cakes, I encountered this family...
I hope that you can make them out, as my camera is not very good. This duck was marching down the street with about 12 ducklings quacking after her, it was just so sweet.
Then I came across these lilac trees which I love. Unfortunately they are not ours, but they grow in a garden really near us and are beautiful every year.
This one is ours though...
I love Wisteria, and even though it is a young one, this year it is flowering like mad.

Rhubarb is something that belongs to spring, look at the gorgeous colour.
When I was living in England, I used to buy rhubarb fool from time to time, as I really love it, but never thought to make it myself. I wonder why, because it is the easiest thing to make, and loads better than the shopbought stuff. As I am now living in a country where you can not buy it for love or money, I tried my hand and making it myself this year, and a wonderful success it was. This is a very luxurious version, as it calls for both Mascarpone and cream ( bang goes the diet!), but truly special. This recipe serves 6.

Rhubarb fool

600 grams rhubarb
200 grams caster sugar
250 grams Mascarpone cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
300 ml double cream

Trim the rhubarb and cut into 1cm slices. Put in a saucepan with the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes until very tender. Break down lightly with a potato masher, than tip into a bowl and let cool.

Whisk the mascarpone with the vanilla bean paste or extract until softened. Add the cream and whisk until the mixture is fairly thick.

Beat in the rhubarb and juices until the mixture again starts to thicken. Turn into a large serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

As you can see, a true diet buster, but just irresistible!

Now, this picture actually leads me very neatly to my last subject today. I have always loved the little bowls I served the fool in. They were my grandmother's, and sadly these are the only ones that survived the years. They are Lu-ray pastels bowls, and I just love their colour and shape. I also have some blue plates, which I had always assumed where of the same make, but they are actually Early California by Vernon Kiln.
I took a real interest in them, and was looking up information on them today. Now that has sparked a whole new interest in them, I really would love to collect both patterns. I think that whole era in which they were produced is just so interesting, I love the depression glass patterns too. So...I had a look on e-bay, as that seems to be my only source at the moment. It is not something that you would find in Europe, as it is so specifically American I feel. Problem with E-bay is the shipping costs, but I am going to bid for a few pieces, as I really would like to expand my (budding) collection.

Oh, one last thing, I have just heard that I have been invited for a job interview next Wednesday. Now that is a lovely start to the weekend.

Have a great weekend all!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Caroline, it is so nice to "meet" someone new, so glad to see that you dropped by my blog for a visit and left me comment to say you were there! We heard on the news here in Germany about the attempted attack on the Queen and were so stunned by the whole incident. There is no understanding the world some times.

    I enjoyed your story of visiting Keukenhof to see the flowers. We have often talked of going there also, but just never made it yet. Maybe one of these days!! :-)

    The recipe for Rhubarb fool looks yummy, I will have to try it, as I am always on the look out for some things to make for the family.

    Your blog is really pretty, by the way! Have a good Sunday. I will be back again. take care, Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragedy. So sorry to hear about that.

    As for the rhubarb...YUM! And Lu-Ray is readily available here all the antique shops. I love it too, don't have any, but I've always thought it was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flower pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete