Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rediscovering old friends...

It is really strange, but ever since the beginning of this year I have mainly been reading magazines and newspapers. Whereas I have been known for always having my nose in a book ever since... oh, since time began really.
I got a bit at a loose end though for one reason or another, not really knowing what I fancied to read and there being stacks and stacks of magazines I had not been able to read yet etc. However, it never felt quite right.
I read all sorts of things really, biographies, books on gardening, photography, art, literary criticism, history, cook books, psychology, but never much in the way of fiction, other than detectives and ( not my proudest moment this) chick lit. And then the other day I came across a lovely blog Ragged roses. In quite a few posts Persephone books were mentioned, and that peaked my interest. They print books by more or less forgotten writers ( mainly women) from the first half of the 20th century. I always found that period one of the most interesting in art, music and literature, so ... I was hooked again.
I started with a quick browse through the hundreds of books I own and have not read yet, and it turns out I have lots of books about the Bloomsbury Group. So... I started straight away on On or about December 1910, by Peter Stansky. This discusses various reasons on why that is a key date in the forming of the Bloomsbury Group, I find it really fascinating.
However, that did not satisfy my need for fiction, so a trip to Amsterdam was in order...
But wait... there is more...
This one I actually picked up because I like the pretty colours, I adore the combination of pink and blue...

And I am afraid there is more to come which I ordered via the internet. Finding a moment to read them all is going to be tricky, but I am so excited now that I want to read them all at once! Do any of you have that "problem"?

Oh, and for any of you that were wondering about what happened to the poor tree in front of our house... this is the very sad last chapter of its life...
Have an exciting week ahead!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I need to get back to reading books as well, Caroline. I have so many on my bookshelf I picked up that I still haven't read so I understand where you are coming from! You'll find time. Love that pink and blue book too! I would have picked it up just for the colors as well. Lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aan die boomstam heb je ook niks meer hihi..

    Leuke foto's Caroline :))
    ( Ik geef mezelf de tijd niet om te lezen,
    terwijl ik altijd veel gelezen heb)
    Geniet van de zon vandaag !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me to read again - I have not done much lately. I tend to visit charity shops now for new books - my local one has very recent books for 50p!!! Someone must be an avid reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline! You had told me about all the books you bought but isn't it great to be able to see them all stacked up like that! That must have been heavy to carry them all? I just love getting lost in a great bookshop but we just don't have them like there are in England. It makes me want to go over. I still one day dream of getting back to London and going to Persephone bookshop. Our favorite there was always Foyles and we could spend a day in there. How fun that you already had some books by those in the Bloomsbury Group. By the way, Kim's blog is wonderful!

    How sad about the tree in front of your house. Will there be a new one planted in its place?

    Hugs en groetjes ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dus jij hoeft je voorlopig niet te vervelen !En dan ook nog allemaal in het engels. Nou nee !!

    Ik lees ook graag, en 't liefst van die dikke pillen. Maar ik mag van mezelf niet altijd in een boek beginnen.Want het moet in een keer uit !!Dus houd ik het tussendoor maar bij tijdschriften.Ook leuk.

    Fijne regendag verder !!Mooie dag om te lezen!!!

    groetjes Thea

    ReplyDelete